- By being apprentice to a wizard and taking a short cut with the chores, a short cut they have no idea how to stop!
- By being apprentice to a witch and not finding the right ingredients for the latest "recipe" the boss has going on the cauldron. Witches are not normally tolerant of any kind of failure.
- By getting in the way of a fairy godmother on her rounds. Okay you will probably live. You just won't be in the species/shape you started out with that day.
- By criticising the ruling regime. The less tolerant it is, the more likely it is they won't take criticism at all.
- By trying to use spells from books the character has not already had magical training with. Trouble is the very least they can expect from this!
The big drawback to living in a magical world is your characters can end up wishing their lives away if they end up confronting the more magically powerful. The latter have a variety of methods/spells for letting people know they have been offended! What other ways could a character wish their life away?
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.