- Grand Viziers. As Cohen the Barbarian says in Interesting Times (Terry Pratchett), there is just something about the job that gets to them. Hmm... from my reading of fairytales Grand Viziers like to get to others to stop anything getting to them at all.
- Talking wolves. Experience shows this never ends well. The wolf doesn't usually benefit either.
- Talking snakes. See Kipling's Jungle Book for more on this (and one of the great Disney films too). I would be very wary of anything that hisses. After all they do have a serpent tongue!
- Wizards who suddenly seem interested in weapons building. See the example of Saruman in The Lord of the Rings here. You have got to ask why have they taken to this industry. It's not usually necessary for a wizard to need weapons (and certainly not on a grand scale).
- Spurned witches/bad fairies not invited to christenings. When they do turn up, being all sweetness and light to all and sundry is definitely not on the agenda.
WHO NOT TO TRUST...
There are some characters in fairytales and fantasy fiction the sensible will never trust. My list is:-
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.