- Good strong leads, both heroes and villains, with strong motivations for being the way they are and acting the way they do. I like to see that conflict is inevitable.
- A good strong ending (not necessarily a happy one) which is appropriate for the tale.
- Magic used wisely and in a way that strengthens the plot. I don't want to see a wave of a magic wand putting everything right - there's no story in that.
- The downside of magic so I see good reasons why my hero and/or the villain has to use other strategies as well as magic to try to achieve their objectives.
- Glimpses into what the magical world is like - for example the story reveals something about the wildlife on this world or the history of the realm or how it is governed. I want this information to be drip fed to me so I can pick up the pieces the author leaves me and put them together myself. I like working things out.
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.