- They surprise themselves as well as us with what they find they are capable of achieving.
- They are usually modest (and this is why they don't expect to be a hero/heroine).
- They are not arrogant and acting as if the world should expect them to be heroic and dance to their tune.
- They usually make friends well, who are often crucial in the story (and sometimes for comic relief too).
- They come from a wide range of backgrounds, most of which are pretty humble.
- They take the quest they've found themselves on seriously even though they would far rather have stayed at home.
- The ones I've read tend to be very fond of their own books and stories, which will always go down well with me!
The reluctant hero/heroine is one of my favourite character types for various reasons. These include:-
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.