- Paperbacks are truly flexible.
- Paperbacks are relatively cheap. You'd spend far more on an evening out at the cinema etc.
- There are some wonderful paperback covers out there. I've got several of the old Discworld novels and they really are works of art.
- If the worst happens and you drop the book into a bath, you can at least dry out a paperback. If not, for whatever reason, the paperwork is easily and cheaply replaced.
- You don't need batteries with a paperback.
- You don't annoy others when you read a paperback on the train.
- Unless you laugh out loud, paperbacks are a silent form of entertainment!
My favourite book format is likely to remain the paperback, which I think is the best invention to hit publishing since Caxton developed his ideas.
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.