- Gripping characters - I've got to really root for them to succeed or get their just desserts for me to stay with them during the story.
- Good pacing - What pacing is required obviously depends on the type of story but generally I'm looking for a pace that keeps the tension up until the end.
- Unforgettable settings - This doesn't have to be an invented world (though it often is). Here I'm looking for the setting being appropriate to the story and characters and be a place I'd love to visit or equally be glad I'm nowhere near. The latter depends on the type of story but whichever way it goes, the setting has to provoke a reaction in me.
- Entertaining dialogue - Sure sometimes this will be funny dialogue (when appropriate) but even when not I want to feel as if I'm eavesdropping on a conversation that I have absolutely got to finish listening to!
- Strong Resolution - The story definitely has to end. Not on a cliffhanger - that should be for the chapters leading up to the end in a novel or in the middle section of shorter works before the issue is resolved.
What do you love most in a story? I look for the following:-
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.