- I love short, sharp writing (whether I'm reading or writing it) so flash fiction is a natural genre for me.
- Flash fiction is great for telling a humorous incident as a very short story. Normally such incidents wouldn't be nearly long enough for a standard short story but they are often perfect for flash.
- I've used flash fiction ideas I've had to generate longer short stories when I've wanted to develop the character or plot further.
- Flash fiction is great for reading on mobiles, tablets etc, which is one reason for their huge popularity I think.
- Flash fiction can convey all moods - from menace to mirth - efficiently.
- Flash fiction, because of a fairly strict word count, is a good training ground for (a) writing short and (b) editing really, really well!
- There are plenty of online markets for flash fiction (some of which, including Cafelit, will bring out a Best of print anthology.
- Flash fiction could be a way in to longer fiction and books in general for more reluctant readers.
One of the reasons I love writing flash fiction is it has a number of perks for a writer. My list here includes:-
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.