- Dragons. With the exception of the one in Shrek and possibly How to Train Your Dragon (which I've not seen so can't comment further), all dragons are shown as fire breathing monsters. Okay they do breathe fire and most of them are monsters with dodgy tastes in devouring virgins and so on. It is fair to say they have not had a good press, most of the time with reason.
- Ogres. Again Shrek is the honourable exception. I love the way what is good and bad is turned upside down by these films. I also love the overwhelming message ugly is not what you look like. Ugly is your attitude.
- Dwarves. Okay blame Walt Disney but it is difficult to get the Hi Ho song out of your head at the mention of the word dwarf. I prefer their more rounded portrayal in, say, Terry Pratchett's Discworld.
- Talking animals. Considered twee generally and for kids' books. Disagree. Love wisecracking Donkey (again, Shrek) and also Gaspode in Discworld. I am absolutely certain if animals could talk a lot of them would come out with more sensible stuff than some humans!
- Witches. Got the big black pointed hat? Yes. Got the broomstick? Yes. Going to meet a grisly end because one of your ancestors once shoved some kids in an oven? Yes!
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.