- The hero/heroine has to be humble even if they have to be brought down several pegs to get to that point at the start of the story.
- The virtuous usually win in the end (The Little Mermaid could be argued to be an exception). This is not like life and how you can tell this is fantasy writing!
- The fairy godmother would not be seen dead without her wand. She always has a downtrodden goddaughter somewhere.
- The witch would not be seen dead without her hat, broom and wand. (She usually has a supply of poisoned apples on her too). Is very wary of whirlwinds and farmhouses dropping out of the sky though.
- Talking animals are considered normal and they all speak clearly and use grammar correctly. Well if you are going to get them to speak, they may as well do so properly!
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.