1. Say what they mean and follow up on what they say they will do (equally applies to villains!).
2. Are not afraid to stand up for what they believe in (and can apply to villains too!).
3. Have good, understandable reasons for their actions, even if you don't agree with them.
4. Are memorable. Some will have distinctive phrases but for me the most memorable ones are the ones with attitudes I remember and agree with or loathe. Whatever way it is, they stick in the mind, which is precisely what you want your characters to achieve.
5. I love characters with a sense of humour (and even more so if they can laugh at themselves).
6. I adore characters with courage. (Frodo Baggins, Sam Gamgee and a host of others).
7. I love characters who fight for their own happy ever after, even if they fail. I loathe wishy-washy characters. I've got to feel the character has done something and that the story would be incomplete without them. If I feel why is this character in here then there's something amiss.
What would you list as the attributes your characters must have?
Image Credit: Pixabay, as ever.