- Eileen. For being a woman, for daring to challenge him, for catching him out with magical misconduct, for raising doubts in the Queen's mind about him, for being an excellent fairy godmother and simply for being Eileen.
- The Witch. For being one of the three magical beings who could really challenge him.
- L'Evallier and Rodish jointly for being incorruptible. Brankaresh hates beings like that. There is nothing he can do with them other than to kill them. He likes people he can use and exploit.
- Roherum. For the journalist's inane mutterings on the Fairy News Network. Roherum also gladly reports on Eileen's acts of derring do, which is another reason to hate the goblin presenter.
- The Council. Brankaresh wants absolute power and the Council, for all its failings, would stop him.
The Chief Wizard has many more than five hates but as I don't write a treatise on this, the limit is useful. His top five hates are:-
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.