- You can visit any era, country or world (real or otherwise) at your convenience and without leaving a comfy chair. Even Doctor Who can't do that. He needs the Tardis.
- The range of topics covered by either fiction or non-fiction is truly breathtaking.
- There is always the joy of re-reading an old favourite and/or author.
- Which can only be topped by discovering a new favourite book and/or author.
- Books as a form of entertainment are relatively cheap. And then there are the different formats. There's bound to be at least one to suit you. (For me, it is the paperback that rules).
- You look intellectual when you're reading! (It helps if, like me, you also wear glasses. They give gravitas). Okay not the world's best reason for loving books but it is a valid point.
- Books are a wonderful form of escapism and you can tailor your reading to suit your mood. It probably says something for me that I love humorous literature so much. (Well when the real world is violent, sad and depressing, name a better form of escapism that is legal, you can't overdose on it, nor does it make you put on weight).
- There are truly beautiful books out there so those that like aesthetics will find something to please. And then there is something amazing about seeing early editions of classic novels. I find those awe inspiring. Good books last.
- While those of us who are still lucky enough to have libraries realize that luck and make the most of it, books are one of the few forms of entertainment where you can borrow them, decide if you like them and then make a purchase or not depending on the result. You really can try before you buy.
- You always learn something from a book even if it is you discover you don't like it!
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.