- You find yourself in a magically unstable environment where even the smallest amount of additional magic is likely to produce disastrous effects. Disastrous for those around you. Okay, you might not care about that. Disastrous for the environment itself. You should care about that. Environments have a nasty habit of destroying those who try to destroy them.
- You're facing the prospect of having to fight a duel with someone you know is faster and better with their wand or other magical implement of choice than you are. (Probably time to run or grovel. Your call.).
- You're in a world where magic is considered highly suspect and it is not unknown for those who practice it to face imprisonment at best or death at worst. Bringing out your wand here is probably not a good idea. It certainly won't promote your long life and good health.
- You're facing a dragon or other monster that is quite happy to devour you and your wand.
- You discover the local Dark Lord's Ring of Power has more magical energy in it than you have in your wand, crystal ball, lucky rabbit's foot and so on.
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.