- Eileen Paige
- Really does want to live in peace with Derek, Jenny, Edward and if she must with Paul too.
- Eileen is condemned as selfish for taking a stance practically anyone else in the magical realm in the same position would take. Eileen cannot think of anyone in the Fairy Kingdom who really would give up their chance of a successful relationship for the opportunity of being blasted away by yet another dragon!
- Jennifer Williams (nee Paige)
- Really does want to live her life in peace but that includes her mother not giving her additional grief. This means for Jennifer no magic but she’s finding it difficult to resist using magic altogether and Eileen knows that urge to “perform” will strengthen. Eileen, as ever, has not mentioned this. Jennifer would also like her mother to be totally honest with her! Also wants to live with Paul and Edward and to have a “normal” life.
- The Fairy Queen, Roxannadrell
- A quiet life where nobody challenges her, accepts her considered wisdom (instead of questioning it all the time a la Eileen) and where everybody sticks to their allotted role in life. A life where inventions or straight “borrowings” from Earth are not misused the way she feels fairy-vision has been. A life where her records are up to date and not written in some awful calligraphy that’s all so easy to misread, sometimes with dreadful consequences. A life where L’Evallier praises her – sometimes at least.
By working out what your characters really want if they could have carte blanche, you will write about and for them with more conviction and that will show up in your writing.