- Be sure you know exactly who it is that you are proposing to engage in battle with as powerful wizards have a habit of "dressing down" and often look shabby. Appearance is no way to gauge magical ability.
- Always think twice (at least) before tackling anyone (particularly women) who have a penchant for wearing large pointed black hats. The hat is a huge hint that you should not cross this person, not unless you want a future that involves croaking a lot.
- If you think you might be sent into exile for tackling someone and you lose, ensure people know what type of landscape/environment you hate most and, sure enough, you will be sent there. The trick here, of course, is to lie through your teeth so you end up being exiled to somewhere you (a) like or at worst (b) find it easy to tolerate.
- Also make it clear what food and drink you hate as when you are exiled you will find yourself surrounded by this stuff. (Be careful though if you lie here. If you claim you hate icecream, nobody will believe you and will see straight through what you're trying to do here).
- Always have a good life insurance policy for those you care about to cover death and injury by magical accident. Absolutely no insurer covers what might be deemed to be self termination so be careful who you annoy. If you will insist on winding up the Chief Wizard and he blasts you to the next world, it is highly unlikely your policy will pay up to those you leave behind. As ever, it is all in the small print.
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.