- Never judge someone by their size. Fairytale heroes venture from the large (Shrek) to the small (Tom Thumb/Thumbelina).
- Never judge someone by their species. The Three Billy Goats Gruff were not outwitted by the troll under the bridge they wanted to cross. Two got across by sheer cunning and the other by brute strength!
- Always know exactly where your fruit comes from. This is where Snow White went wrong.
- Always know exactly what goes into your food and drink. See Alice's Adventures in Wonderland for more on this. (Also don't be a greedy wotsit - you can't be affected by spells in said food and drink then can you?!).
- It is safest to assume wizened people of either gender are probably a fairy godmother/witch or wizard in disguise, so be polite. If you're right, you won't be cursed. If not, you're being polite. Nothing to lose here.
- When told you should go down a certain road, expect dangers or, at best, strange characters who will come on the journey with you. This is for certain when the road is an odd colour. How often do you see yellow roads after all? See The Wizard of Oz on this.
- Expect those strange characters to play a major role in helping you fulfil your own role in the story. And you may as well try playing Spot the Traitor now, There will be one. There always is!
FAIRYTALE HINTS AND TIPS
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.