- They try to get themselves out of trouble and don't just rely on Prince Charming. I think this is one reason I loved the Shrek series. Princess Fiona is my kind of heroine in terms of attitude.
- They are not vengeful, even though they would have cause to be. Instant gaining (and keeping) of moral high ground here.
- They act in such a way it is clear they do deserve their happy ever after ending. (I do like those to be merited - they should be I think!).
- They are highly intelligent and resourceful - back to Princess Fiona again, though I'd also credit Gretel for her quick thinking in dealing with the witch.
- They usually come from a humble background (which is very encouraging to the majority of us who also come from said humble background! I like to see all manner of backgrounds represented in stories. I think it is part of the wide appeal of fairytales - these characters are in a magical world but their background is nothing to write home about. It's easy to identify with that).
What I like to see in my favourite fairytale heroines:-
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.