- The greedy and selfish are disliked. See Goldilocks and The Three Bears for more on this.
- It doesn't take that much to be smarter than a human. Sometimes a cat wearing footwear is capable of this. Am not sure if that means we humans should definitely try to raise our game or whether full credit should be given to the cat for its intelligence.
- Fairy godmothers have got no idea whatsoever as to what counts as comfortable footwear. Just ask Cinderella.
- Fairytales are a good vehicle for showing up human cruelty and neglect. See The Little Match Girl (neglect especially) and Hansel and Gretel (cruelty) to name but two.
- Fairy godmothers should be treated with respect, despite 3 above, given it is amazing what they can do with a pumpkin. Neither do you want to be on the wrong end of that wand being waved about.
- Always assume the youngest son or a stepdaughter is going to end up being the hero or heroine in the story.
- Always assume the eldest son or natural daughters are going to end up being the villains.
- If you come across a cat playing a fiddle, you are either visiting the world of nursery rhymes or you should double check what medication/alcohol levels you're on.
- Nothing is impossible in the fairy tale/nursery rhyme world. See 8.
- Being put to sleep for 100 years is one thing but how many of those waking up from that extended sleep woke up with stiff joints and felt as if they were well over 100 years old as a result!
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.