- The colours are very bright and almost hurt your eyes when you look at them.
- You come across nursery rhyme/fairytale characters in the flesh.
- The plants are exaggerated in size.
- There is an unusual game of croquet going on involving flamingoes and hedgehogs. Best not ask exactly what is going on here. You won’t like the answer.
- You find want yourself wanting to wake up, hoping against hope you’re having some dodgy dream, but realise you are not. This will happen the moment you unwittingly offend a powerful magical being and realise your life expectancy can now be measured in seconds.
- The food and drink produce strange effects on you (particularly regarding height) but those around you seem to be okay with it.
- The talking animals wear clothes (including waistcoats and pocket watches).
- Songs are simple and repetitive and copy the style of nursery rhymes. Gets very tiresome after about ten minutes.
- Witches fly overhead clearly watching what you’re up to. Refuse any invitation to go home with them. It rarely ends well.
- Transport is by broomstick, sometimes other household objects. None are comfortable to sit on for any length of time.
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.