- When a magical being becomes arrogant and tries to gain power by any and every means.
- Dragons. (Unless you are another dragon of the opposite gender, you are unlikely to welcome one of these turning up in your neighbourhood).
- Magical rings (they're usually cursed).
- Strangers turning up. Are they kings returning to their rightful realms or are they about to unleash hell on said magical world because they're there to destroy it?
- An unexpected change of government (the previous one has nearly always been removed by force).
- When magical powers are diminished either by the population falling ill or victim to some kind of curse.
- Different magical groups having varying powers as there is always a "top species" and the others will resent it and/or strive to improve their own powers so they can be more of an effective opposition.
- A witch or wizard with a grievance. They like to spread said grief.
- Over confidence apprentices working for wizards who think they too can perform magic. Yes, they can. What they can't do is make it stop.
- Too many magical books, objects etc in the hands of one person.
I'm Allison Symes and I write novels, short stories as well as some scripts and poems. I love setting my work in my magical world, the Fairy Kingdom, and my favourite character is Eileen, who believes hypocrisy is something that happens to other people without caring that statement is hypocritical in itself! Eileen is huge fun to write for and about.